26 June 2011

Connected, Finally!

Yesterday, while I was eating lunch (a little late), came a knock on my door.  Actually, a few knocks.  When I opened it, there was Lao Pan, the school driver.  Pan doesn't speak much English, but I knew what he wanted.  He was in charge of making sure my Internet connection got set up, and that was due.  When I let him in, he made a phone call, and after a conversation, he handed the phone to me.  It was Jane, the vice principal at my school, who speaks excellent English.

Jane had two things to tell me.  One, about the Internet access, the installers would be at my apartment at 1:30.  That gave me about half an hour or so.  Two, there was a package for me at the school office.  Pan would drive me to the school to pick it up, then drive me back to my apartment to wait for the Internet installers.  I don't really like riding with Pan, because he smokes, but it really wouldn't work any other way.  The weather was a bit wet, and I don't want to ride my bike in the rain.  So, I went with him, leaving my last serving of fried rice in the wok, and got the package.  I decided not to open it immediately.  Then, we came back, I finished my rice, and we waited for the China Telecom installers.

The installation went smoothly, and now, finally, I have Internet access in my apartment!  I tried to celebrate by arranging a video chat with my mom, but she's not available at a convenient time.  (It's hard with a 15-hour time difference.)  So, I chose to open the package by myself:
Clockwise from top:  peanuts, size 15 (10 mm) DPNs, crochet hooks, birthday card, care package box
Yes, it's my birthday, June 26.  My sister and brother-in-law already sent me an early present before I left.  (Actually, their present was a gift that keeps on giving, so it's good for birthday & Christmas both.)  My mother was also very generous, but she sent me a little something anyway.  Size 15 double-pointed needles, an assorted package of crochet hooks, and peanuts.  All things that are probably available in China, but rather hard to find.  Also a card.  Thanks, Mom!

Knitting
Well, I promised pictures of the completed cardigan when I had good lighting.  Yesterday the weather was blustery, but this morning there's enough sunlight in my apartment to take some decent pics.  So, here they are.  First, a picture of the partially completed helmetliner:

Because it's black, I actually added artificial lighting (a good lamp that I bought at Carrefour).  You can see that have only the face ribbing left to do, and there is plenty of yarn remaining.  This should be very soft and warm when it's done.

And now, the fully knit cardigan:
Cardigan, Front, Full View
Detail of Back Cable (Saxon Braid, modified)
I haven't tried it on yet, it's way too warm and humid for that, but I think the collar turned out nicely.  I used size 4 needles for all the ribbing, including the collar, and size 6 for the body.  On the lapel, I picked up 4 stitches on the selvage for every 6 knit rows, and I think that was the right amount.  It doesn't pucker, and it doesn't gape or sag.  I used a YO k2tog buttonhole, and I like the size I got.  I went up one needle size to bind off in rib, and it's just tight enough without being too tight.

In order to complete the 3" collar, I had to rip out a swatch.  Since this was a self-designed pattern, with two different cables, I had three swatches.  I chose to rip out the smallest one.  I skeined it on the back of a chair, tied it, soaked it in water to relax the fibers, and dried it on the clothesline.  When I spit-felted it on and finished knitting and binding off the collar, this is what I had left:
Leftover Yarn

Not bad, eh?  I also have a little more extra from the sleeves, and I think that should be enough to sew on 4 buttons.  Now, I just need to buy the buttons.  I want to take my friend A. with me when I go button shopping, because she speaks and reads Chinese.  (She should, after all.  She was born here.)  Unfortunately, she's traveling this weekend.  So, button shopping will wait.

However, yarn shopping may not wait.  I want to make a pair of hot mitts, one blue and one red.  Now that I have the #15 DPNs (see above), all I need is the yarn.  I think I know where to buy the yarn.  The trouble is making sure I get 100% wool.  Rarely do I find a vendor that speaks English.  Some don't even speak Standard Chinese (Mandarin), just the local Wuxi dialect.  This is especially true of the older generation, and knitting in China seems to be mostly done by older women.  I might have to take A. with me for that, too.

As for socks, I left my favorite sock pattern book with my Mom.  She, however, doesn't actually use that pattern, she does reinforced flap heels, and I taught myself short-row heels.  I've asked her to scan and send me pages from that book.  Because of the formatting, they may not scan well.  We'll see.  Meanwhile, I'm trying not to wear any holes in the socks I have.

Prayer Requests
I continue to enjoy spending time with A.  This last Thursday I tested her cooking skills, and she passed with flying colors, in Chinese style.  (Beating eggs with chopsticks, etc.)  My kitchen is a little spartan, but she did fine, and I got a few more things to make next time a little easier.  Please pray that there will be many more next times.

Also, I have a big day on Wednesday, that has nothing to do with school.  I know that I won't be able to do this without God's help.  Please pray that God would use me for His glory.

That's all for now.  I've got to get ready for church.  Thanks for reading, and thanks for praying.  God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment