30 July 2009

Lassen Backpacking Trip

Well, this has been a great summer so far, and it's not over yet. Tomorrow I leave for a backpacking trip with Troop 58. The scouts participating are Ryan Avella, Sean Avella, Collin Caskey, Jared Quast, Noah Peterson, Spencer Peterson, and James Scharfen. The adults are Mike Avella, Jeff Scharfen, and myself. Mike Avella and Jeff Scharfen will be driving. We will be going to Lassen Volcanic National Park, parking at Summit Lake, and hiking a few miles per day (with backpacks) around a short loop. There is an optional day hike to Cinder Cone, approximately 10 miles long. We will return the evening of Sunday, the 2nd of August.

I am completely finished packing. My pack weighs in at 44.8 pounds, or 29.5% of my clothed body weight. This is in spite of using an obsolete, external-frame backpack that dates back to the time I was 15 years old. I have balanced the load to my satisfaction, and packed everything that I want to bring, except some things that I will be wearing on my person. I will also be taking my old stave, which has a hook in the top for pulling down bear bags, and a line wound around the top which I use as a handle, and also doubles as extra line in an emergency.

For troop gear, I am carrying one MSR stove, two fuel cannisters, two light cleanup tubs, one cooking pot, two cooking utensils, and my own mini pepper grinder. I am carrying some of my personal food for lunches, plus one shared box of Ritz crackers. I think I got the short end of the stick, carrying more gear and less food, which means my load will not lighten significantly over the course of the trip. On the other hand, I may be starting out with a somewhat lighter load.

I am bringing my own tent, a full first-aid kit, a cleanup kit with two tubs, paracord for bear bags, etc., and my water filter. This is my first time carrying my own water filter, or my own washtubs. My tubs have lids, and will double as buoys if we set up a safe swim area. I figure that as an adult leader over 21, I had better bring these things along, for the good of the troop. I think it's part of setting a good example of being prepared.

We plan to leave the church tomorrow at 06:00, which means that I'm geting up at 05:00, throwing on my uniform, scarfing down breakfast, and rolling out at 05:30. That means I need to get a good dinner, shower, and get to bed.

I am really looking forward to this. It's been about ten years since I last went backpacking. I feel like I'm ready for a 50-miler, but I know I'm out of shape, and it's probably good that this is an easy trip, so I won't be embarrassed.

Well, it's high time for dinner, and I don't expect to make another post before I return, so this is Sean Pearson, signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment