14 February 2013

Valentine's Day

First, to my mother:  Happy Birthday!  I hope you enjoy your present, and the company of those you love.  I wish I could be with you to share it, but know that I am thinking of you.  Hopefully I can call you later.

As I write this, my mother's birthday is just beginning where she is, but for me (some 16 hours ahead by the magic of time zones), it is drawing to a close.  The rest of the world knows this as St. Valentine's Day.  Now, this originated as a Christian holiday, and is still known as a Western holiday, but even in China it is recognized (at least by the younger generation) as a time for couples to celebrate their relationship.  Then, how is it that I will not be spending it with my sweetie?

Well, it's also the week of Chun Jie, a.k.a. Chinese New Year or Spring Festival.  My girlfriend's hometown and parents are in another city, some 3 hours away by train or 6 hours by bus.  I reminded her repeatedly to come back in time for today, but she delayed purchasing a train or bus ticket until it was too late, and she won't be back until Saturday.

So, tell me:  What would be appropriate consequences for a girlfriend who, through poor planning/time management, fails to meet her boyfriend for Valentines's day?  Besides her making me dinner, and cleaning up afterwards, of course.  She'll already be doing that.  Thoughts, anyone?

1 comment:

  1. It depends on whether or not you'd like to have another Valentine's Day next year. :-/

    ReplyDelete