12 February 2013

Correction: The PRC Does Regulate Fireworks

In my last post, if you remember, I talked about the Chinese cultural obsession with fireworks, and the apparent dearth of regulation or restriction on the sale or use of such dangerous pyrotechnics.  Later that evening, when I went out to buy some bananas for my morning cereal, I found evidence that there are in fact restrictions on the sale and use of fireworks in China.  Here it is, photographed this morning.

The 1st photo shows the full set of posters, which have been put up at the end of my apartment building, within the past couple of days.

The 2nd photo apparently shows a list of three "No-no's" with regard to fireworks.  However, the pictures seem unclear to me, and I don't clearly recognize enough of the characters to make more than a guess at what it says.

The 3rd photo is much clearer.  These are obviously places where fireworks are not allowed.  (1) No fireworks next to a hospital.  (2) No fireworks under power lines.  (3) No fireworks next to public...what exactly?  It's a picture of a Buddhist temple or pagoda, and the first character means something like "public".  Any guesses?  (4) No fireworks next to gas stations.  (5) No fireworks on airplanes.  (6) No fireworks next to high-rise buildings.  (I've seen this one broken.)  (7) No fireworks in the woods.

(Understand that here, exploding rockets and powerful/loud firecrackers are available for private use without a pyrotechnics license.)





The 4th photo seems to be a list of regulations.  But, as I can only read the numbers, it doesn't help me much.

The 5th photo seems to be a warning to buy your fireworks from a licensed vendor.  Fair enough.

The 6th photo doesn't seem to have any more regulations, merely a reminder to have a happy (and presumably safe) Chun Jie.  I can't tell for sure.

So, I was wrong.  There are regulations on fireworks in China.  They are merely more permissive than fireworks regulations in California, outside of native reservations (and perhaps Chinatown?).

P.S.  Fireworks can be purchased here at any time of the year, not just during the festival season.  So, next 4th of July, I'm definitely celebrating with fireworks.  Just try and stop me.

No comments:

Post a Comment