06 July 2011

Get a Job (Sha, na na na, na-na-na-na-na)

Well, I started my summer job today at Hy-Lite Language School in downtown Wuxi.  They are right next to Wuxi Protestant Church on Zhongshan Road.  First, I sat in on one VIP class (one person), one salon class (about 8 people), and a private class (up to four people; this one had only one) which was unpaid training.  Then, after dinner, I administered a practice oral IELTS test, for which I will be paid.  Tomorrow I will be doing a Speaker's Corner, which (as my first time) will be mainly introductions.

The work is pretty straightforward.  The lesson plans are already written (in outline form), and all I have to do is get the students to talk about the subject by using guiding questions.  That's something I already know how to do.  Looks like they will have a fair bit of work for me, which will be good.  It'll get me out of the apartment, and keep me out of the poorhouse.  Summers are always their busiest time.  I may even be able to take Chinese classes from them.

By the way, I learned something from the student's answer to a practice test question, to amend the information in the last post.  July 1 is the anniversary of the founding of the Chinese Communist Party.  That's the specific date and event that the display pictured in the last post was erected to commemorate.  Also, this student (who is from a very well-off family) does not agree with the government spending a lot of money on national celebrations such as this, because the money is taken from the people in taxes, and the people have no say on how it is spent.  That seems to be a fairly enlightened view, and something that I didn't expect from a Chinese student.

Prayer Requests
Things seem to be going pretty well right now, for which you can praise God.  A. is in the process of decorating her new apartment in the new district, so she's busy right now, but when she finally moves in, she'll be closer to where I live, and hopefully I'll get to see her more.  I really want to get to know her better, but that takes time.  Please pray that I would be able to spend some quality time with her, to get better acquainted.

That's about all for now.  I'll be posting a lot of photos on Facebook, many never seen before anywhere on the Internet.  So, if you're my friend on Facebook (and all of my readers should be), go on over and check them out.  Thanks for reading, and thanks for praying.  God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment