13 April 2011

Reference Letter


In my last post, I wrote about how the school wants me to come ASAP when the visa is ready.  Although I agreed, I'm not the one who's responsible for getting the visa ready at this point.  Jane is gathering those documents for submission to the Foreign Expert Bureau (FEB).  I would be happy to let her do that, but there are certain things that seem to be taking more time than they should, especially for someone who wants me ASAP.

For instance, I don't understand why, after she got my corrected résumé, it took her four days to request a reference letter from one of two previous organizations listed in my work experience.  Fortunately, I already had a letter from one of them, obtained for my previous job in Korea, which letter I promptly sent to her.  Unfortunately, it was a Word document, with no signature, and, although it was positive, it was quite brief.  Jane wanted a more detailed letter, with an authentic signature, to submit to the FEB.

So, I promptly wrote to my old business associate, who is still one of my most trusted friends, though we don't communicate very often since I moved.  I asked for a more detailed letter, with a personal signature.  After about a week, I hadn't heard from him, so I called him.  He's pretty busy, but he promised to help me.  After about four more days, I dropped him an e-mail to let him know (in case I'd forgotten to mention it) that there is some time urgency on this letter.  He then wrote back to me, expressing some confusion about what kind of additional detail was required, and asking me to put in the necessary detail, which he would then check and sign if it was acceptable.  So, I promptly edited the letter and sent it back for his approval.

The next day, he wrote back to me late, asking me to make a minor change.  The following morning, when I checked my e-mail, I made the change and sent it back.  Then I let Jane know that the letter was almost ready.  This brings us up to yesterday morning, the 11th of April.  That evening, which was morning China time, I heard from Jane, who finally let me know what the rush was all about.

Apparently, one of the math teachers is taking a two-week vacation to attend a wedding in the USA.  After asking for more info, I found out that this trip is expected to happen from the end of April to the middle of May.  It would have been nice to know this earlier!  I would definitely have been more proactive about getting the letter from Peter.  It would have been even better if she had requested the letter earlier, along with giving me this information in the original "We are looking for a maths teacher now" e-mail.

Actually, I think I know what's going on.  She had written earlier that she would give my documents to HR.  My guess is that she's my contact because of her English skills, and she's passing on the requests and information that she gets from HR.  It appears that someone underestimated the time it would take to get the reference letter, which so far is 12 days and counting.

At any rate, right after I heard from Jane about the time frame, I e-mailed Peter to let him know that there was more time urgency than I originally thought.  This morning, I was planning to call him around noon, if I hadn't heard from him.  But then, in mid-morning, he e-mailed me to let me know that he had been busy with appointments most of yesterday, but he had the letter in his briefcase and would try to get it to me today.  I trust that he will do that.

More importantly, however, I trust God to make sure that everything works out.  My primary concern with timing is the fact that it could take two or three weeks to get the visa, and I don't want to book my flight to China before I know that I will be admitted into the country.  That's just common sense.  At the same time, I want to book my flight well in advance to save money.  Last time I did this, I knew when I wanted to fly over a month in advance, and I was able to fly Singapore Airlines nonstop to Seoul for a very reasonable price.  This time, I may have to settle for a one-stop with a lesser airline, and even so it will probably be more expensive.

Update:  I just had a Google Chat with an old recruiter in Korea.  He invited me to visit.  I told him I might change planes in Incheon (인전, Korea's main airport), and said I might take a day and see Seoul (서울).  He gave me his phone number (I have it already) and said I could call him there.  He also said to send my schedule when I had it.  It's not likely I would have an extra day to do that, but it's possible, if God is willing.  I would really love some Korean barbecue.

2nd Update:  I just remembered what I wrote in my last post about containing my curiosity.  Apparently, I need to be judicious in my questions.  If I had asked about the reason for the sudden rush, maybe I could have helped better.  (Note to self:  It's not necessarily better to wait with questions.  Some questions are better asked sooner, in case the answers will affect current decisions.)

Prayer Requests
I don't know where to start.  Everything's waiting on this one letter of recommendation.  Then the visa process in China, then the visa process here, then fly to China.  Somewhere in there I've got to book flights and pack. Packing is dependent on knowing which airline(s) I'm flying to know the specific baggage limits.  Flights are dependent on knowing when the visa will be ready.  I know when I want to get there, but at this rate, I doubt the visa will be ready in time, even though I will do everything I can to expedite the process.  Please pray that God would sort out everything regarding the visa, the flight, and my packing list.  My experience will help me with some of that, but there is a lot that is outside my knowledge, my control, or both.  I expect that God does this so I will rely on Him more.  Please pray that I would be able to trust God and be at peace in the midst of uncertainty.

No comments:

Post a Comment