14 September 2009

Test Day and Church in Korea

Well, it's Monday morning, about 10 minutes before the morning assembly. I gave half my students a test on Friday, and the other half get it today. We'll see how it goes when I grade it; I may end up making several of the problems extra credit.

Church last night was pretty good. I went to the evening service here in the school chapel. All students are required to attend, which I decided was no different than parents requiring their kids to attend church. Nonetheless, I think there is some serious fath there.

Pastor Josh Kong talked about asking students about their faith. The key question is, "Why are you going to heaven?" He posed that question to the congregation, and I waited to make sure he wanted an answer from someone.

Then I said, very clearly, "Because Jesus died for my sins!" Several people applauded. I'm glad it's that real here. Most people just don't have the courage to answer like that.

Also, when they pray independently, they pray out loud, like the ancients did. It sounds like babble, but that's just because I don't understand Korean.

Well, it's about time to start helping the students line up for assembly. I'd better sign off now. Next post, hopefully some of my impressions of Korea, along with some prayer requests.

1 comment:

  1. I love how you're listening and sharing from your heart.

    ReplyDelete